7.31.2010

and a cherry on top



Oh.  To go back in time.  I would love to sit at the feet of women past and just absorb all of their tried-n-true techniques.




One of those techniques would have to be the fashioning of lace from a broomstick. 


*Who ever thought of using a broomstick?
*And why?
*Was it a popular method for women to crochet lace?
*Are there examples of this type of lace in someone's archives somewhere?
*That I could see?  Touch? 


Well, I didn't use a broomstick handle for this crocheted broomstick lace -- but my Boye 50 plastic knitting needle and this book:







The patterns & directions in this book are sooooooo easy to understand.





And of course, the book includes a pattern for the cutest dishcloth.




The crochet cotton is from my stash and I used my G hook.

And since I seem to obsessed with cherries of late (btw -- my sister must have taken extreme pity on me after my mushy-gushy fiasco [aka -> Dawn's attempt at cherry pie] because she baked me the most delicious home-made cherry pie.....which I ate all by myself reluctantly shared.)

But this dishcloth needed a little something extra.

So I browsed this fabulous book:

cutest cherry pattern ever in here!


And found just what I was looking for!


Ohhh. There's nothin' like a cherry on top.
/
/
/
/
/
/

17 comments:

Aisyah Helga said...

That dishcloth is gorgeous,Dawn! And the cherries are so cute!! I would like to try this stitch someday...

SUADDA said...

So lovely! But such a pity to use it as dishcloth! =)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colors!

Caroline said...

Very pretty!

Unknown said...

Ciao...mani d'oro!!!!!! Buon fine settimana!! Antonella

Dandelion Quilts said...

Love those cherries...so cute.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Oh yes, I remember it, and actually made it too!! But do I still have any or any photos - no! Sorry. You've got it right though, but better with a cherry.

Killiecrankie Farm said...

what a great effect - I've never heard of broomstick lace before - sounds like a new thing to learn - off to the library !

Unknown said...

So pleased I found your blog.Have recently got into crochet & found you via Ravelry.You have really inspired me to try new techniques.Love this broomstick lace pattern.Off for more of a browse through your blog.
Lizzie.

sylviesgarden said...

Wow, that is amazing! Very clever.
I wouldn't be able to use it as a dishcloth, it's far too nice.
x

Lia said...

Wow: a marvellous crochet-pattern and I like the colors you used for it!

Márcia Galti said...

Hello Dawn
Very beautiful this technique, I've seen around, but never did, do not know, but you ran perfectly, the color is gorgeous and cherry. I love to eat cherries, they were delicious!
Kiss!


Márcia

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dawn, for making me discover a new technique. Yes, I could easily imagine what women "of the past" could have tought us. So many marvelous techniques we will have to discover by ourselves. Thank you for sharing. I just love the color combination.

Fruitful Fusion said...

I've just found your blog and it's SOOOOOO beautiful! This dishcloth is gorgeous! Going to have a good look around at the rest of your lovely work!!!

LesQuilts said...

Hi Dawn! I remember using this too. My mom-in-law used to do the same thing to make baby blankets!
I couldn't find your email address, I wanted to let you know I used your flower petal tutorial to make 2 items, I have pictures on my blog if you would like to have a look. Thanks again for the tutorial!
lesquilts.blogspot.com
lesquilts@gmail.com
Take care, Leslie

Sandra said...

I love the pattern! :)

Carla said...

Oh wow - gorgeous!

I tried the broomstick lace for the first time yesterday - but don't have knitting needles so used a thick whiteboard marker - suffice to say that it didn't work out so well, but seeing this pattern - definitely have to give it another go.